Birth distribution, structure and dynamics of a hunted mountain population of Wild boars (Sus scrofa L.), Ticino, Switzerland

M. Moretti


Wild boars killed during the hunting seasons 1988-1992 were aged from tooth-eruption and tooth-wear.A monthly birth distribution and an age and sex pyramid were built. Births take place throughout the year, though about 83% are concentrated between February and August. The remaining 17% occurs between September and January. The pyramid of the age classes of the population typically agrees with that of a hunted population, so that the first two age classes (0-1 and 1-2 years) depict 82% of the population. On the grounds of these results and according to other studies, a few conclusions are inferred regarding the demographic increase of hunted populations.

Full Text: PDF


  • There are currently no refbacks.

Journal of Mountain Ecology
The Journal of Mountain Ecology is an OPEN ACCESS peer reviewed journal published by the Gran Paradiso National Park.